Wait – 2014 is over already?!
As I look back on 2014, the year seems like a big blur between running the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in January and moving into our new house in December. But as I reflect on the events that fell between those two milestones, I am reminded that every day in 2014 was carefully crafted as part of God’s plan.
It was a year filled with experiences and adventures that were truly transformational. Many of them challenged the depth of my faith, reminding me that putting my trust in God doesn’t just mean being a believer when times are good, but also praising Him through the storms and struggles.
God used some of the highest peaks and deepest valleys along the journey through 2014 to strengthen the bond I share with my husband. I have never been so sure of the love we have for each other and how proud I am to be his partner in life. The road we travel may not always be easy, but no matter WHERE God leads us, Chris and I are up for the adventure as long as we are together.
One of the biggest lessons I learned in 2014 was to let go and let God handle it. After attempting to tackle some very difficult decisions according to my plans, I realized the only real decision is to truly trust in God. Everything in life happens for a reason, and it’s not my place to try to make sense of it all. Sometimes God’s “yes” comes right away; but more often it takes patience to endure His timing and to know His best yes lies in the future.
When I finally let go of what I thought God had planned for my life, I was able to embrace the beautiful blessings He had laid out on the path ahead of me. As I quit trying to fit a square shape into a round hole, I began to worry less and live more.
I am so grateful for the moments – big and small – that made 2014 a year to remember.
Some of my favorites include:
- Running with Chris in his first half marathon as part of Team Lillie
- Spending EC’s third birthday in Disney World
- Seeing EC make memories with my parents at their house on the lake
- Running in the Azalea Trail Run with Chris and my dad
- Spending the weekend in South Carolina with my brother, sister-in-law and other precious family members to celebrate my dad’s 70th birthday
- Watching Chris and EC fishing on the pier
- Holding EC’s hand as she crossed the finish line in her first fun run
- Standing by my dad’s side as a bridge in his hometown was dedicated in his honor
- Finding out that EC was going to be a big sister
- Spending Christmas in our new home
I am grateful for every celebration and struggle in 2014, for I truly believe they all led me to this exact moment – sitting at home listening to giggles from Chris and EC in the other room as I feel the tiniest blessing to come in 2015 move around in my growing belly.